Full time position available for experienced chef to run the kitchen at Falmouth Food Co-op’s social eating space at the Princess Pavilion. Job shares considered.
Falmouth Food Co-op is a community interest company started as a food hub selling groceries with the aim of making good food available to all and supporting local non-industrial farmers.
We then started a Kitchen to celebrate our community, hold social eating events and have delivered over 20,000 hot meals throughout the pandemic to those isolating and in need.
All of this is about creating a collective appetite for change, imagining a joyful future and empowering people to make it happen.
Our latest development has been setting up a social eating space at the Princess Pavilion in Falmouth. We are building this space with the help and influence of the community to provide tasty local delicious food on a pay what you can/ feel/ think basis to enable the whole community to be a part of a bright and welcoming hub in Falmouth.
As a member of the team at the Kitchen café you will be an integral part of the delivery of this message of collectivism and community spirit through the food you cook and the way you work as part of a fun and friendly team.
Using your creativity and strong experience in both cooking and baking to create exciting menus, flavours, recipes and specials in line with local and seasonal ingredients.
Making your own mark and building the Falmouth Food Co-op Kitchen’s reputation whilst upholding quality expectations and following recipes diligently to meet the diverse customer needs.
Your role will include all of the following duties:
- Planning great menus that are both creative and accessible for the varied audience of the Pavilion using local suppliers of seasonal produce as much as possible.
- Cooking in both a café scenario and for larger community events and some outside events for the Princess Pavilion itself.
- Keeping track of stock levels and creating orders to pass to the FFC ordering team.
- Maintaining high levels of hygiene and organisation in the kitchen.
- Supervising and communicating with other kitchen staff as well as the kitchen project coordinator to ensure the café operates effectively.
- Working creatively as part of the team to develop the café space as a strong community hub within Falmouth, which is well known for its commitment to local produce and reducing food insecurity and social isolation.
We are looking for these qualities in a candidate:
- Ability to work well as part of a team, communicate effectively between other employees and have an open mind as the project evolves.
- Ability to work a flexible shift pattern including weekends essential.
- A good understanding of stock control and profit margins.
- You’ll organise and manage the work of the kitchen staff, decide which tasks need to be done and share these among the team.
- Understand all elements of our food safety policy and ensure that everyone is working within our agreements. Ensure that our environment is safe to work in and report all equipment breakdown and defects. Identify equipment that needs servicing.
- Have a strong sense of community spirit and belief in the message and vision of FFC.
- Experience of running a successful food outlet.
- Ability to plan menus and cook according to local suppliers’ produce and seasonality.
- Multi-tasking powers and flexibility.
- A passion for making local food accessible for all and delivering delicious menus.
- Motivation to be a part of the development of the kitchen project as an asset to the local community.
Responsible to: The FFC Kitchen project coordinator, FFC Board of directors and the success of the cause that you believe in!
Responsible for: up to 4 kitchen staff and to oversee volunteers when they are working in the kitchen.
Salary: £11-£13 an hour dependant on experience
- Part of creating and shaping a welcoming and accessible hub in Falmouth for local people of all backgrounds to access great local food.
- Being a member of a fun and friendly team with shared values.
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
To apply please send your CV along with a cover letter or cover video to email@example.com by 5pm on Monday the 9th August.